Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Church Council Chairperson Resigns and Leaves the ELCIC


The chairperson of St. John’s, Waterloo in the Eastern Synod announced his resignation from his local congregation and, as well, the ELCIC, saying that he“cannot in good conscience belong to a church that has made a decision such as the Eastern Synod has made at its 2006 Convention”. Sadly, this is an example of the kind of fallout one can expect as a result of the recent Eastern Synod Convention’s decision to give congregations the authority to bless same-sex unions.

-----

August 18, 2006

Church Council Chairperson Resigns and Leaves the ELCIC

August 9, 2006

To Church Council,

As you know, the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada decided, at its recent convention, to give approval to the blessing of same-sex sexual relationships within our church body. This decision of the Eastern Synod compels me to now part company with that church body.

I have commented in the past that the present debate over homosexuality is really a symptom of larger issues in the ELCIC. I still believe that to be the case - large portions of this church body have moved to embrace a theology that I believe is neither Scriptural nor in keeping with the Lutheran Confessions. Nevertheless, it is the specific, recent decision at Synod Convention that prompts my present action.

Martin Luther, in his explanation of the Sixth Commandment in the Large Catechism (which incidentally is part of our Lutheran Confessions that we claim to uphold), first explains that 'Inasmuch as there is a shameful mess and cesspool of all kinds of vice and lewdness among us, this commandment applies to every form of unchastity, however it is called.' In detailing what is required of us under this commandment, Luther says:

'Moreover, you are to defend, protect, and rescue your neighbour whenever he is in danger or need, and on the contrary to aid and assist him so that he may retain his honour. Whenever you fail to do this (though you could prevent a wrong) or wink at it as if it were no concern of yours, you are just as guilty as the culprit himself. In short everyone is required both to live chastely himself and to help his neighbour do the same.'

While most of you will not be surprised at my strong disapproval of the step taken by the Eastern Synod, some of you will be surprised that I view the Convention's decision with such gravity that it prompts my departure. After all, some of you will be comfortable with the fact that such blessing ceremonies will only take place in congregations that make a decision to do so (i.e. that St. John's will not be forced to perform such blessings). I cannot take such a casual view of the present situation.

Consider for example what St. Paul says to the church in Corinth (I Corinthians, chapter 5) when he hears that a man is living with his step-mother. Paul's response here is nothing akin to 'What wonderful congregational diversity we have!' Indeed not. Instead Paul chastises the Corinthians for tolerating such immorality and advises what they should do instead.

Both the passage from Corinthians and the Large Catechism section I cited earlier speak of the dangers of 'turning a blind eye' to sin. The Eastern Synod has gone beyond even this. It is not content to merely ignore what should be addressed, but instead has resolved to 'bless' sin. I will not be a party, via my church membership, to giving either explicit or tacit approval of such a decision.

I cannot in good conscience belong to a church body that has made a decision such as the Eastern Synod has made at its 2006 Convention. Accordingly, I am hereby announcing my resignation from all of my positions and responsibilities at St. John's as well as requesting cancellation of my membership effective August 12, 2006.

It is with some sadness that I take this step. St. John's has been my only church home since I graduated from university and settled permanently in Waterloo in 1992. I have been pleased to come to know many of the members of this congregation. I have been honoured to serve St. John's in a number of capacities, including most recently as President of Church Council. However, the Eastern Synod has left me little option, and depart I must. I pray that each of you, in whatever choices you make, strive to serve our Lord and Saviour.

In Christ,

Martin Vierula