Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An ELCIC Pastor's Letter of Resignation

November 10, 2006

An ELCIC Pastor's Letter of Resignation

Sunday, November 5, 2006

Evangelical Lutheran Church Council; Bishop Elaine Sauer, MNO Synod; Arleen Berg, Cambrian Conference Dean; and Beverly Romaniuk, Chairperson Bethesda Lutheran Church Council and Congregational Members:

It is with great sadness that I write this letter to you. In my opinion our church denomination, the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada has so departed from scripture and is revising the interpretation of the Word of God in such a way as to make sin not only acceptable but to condone and bless it. This is revisionist theology which departs from the historical Lutheran doctrine of Scripture alone "as the only source of the Church's doctrine and the authoritative standard for the faith and life of the Church". (Constitution Article II, Section 3)

I have been an ordained minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada for seventeen years and it grieves me deeply to realize that in my opinion the church of my ordination has and continues to move away from the inerrant and inspired Word of God in belief and practice. Unfortunately I believe that it will only get worse and lead many, many people away from the true gospel of Jesus Christ. The E.L.C.I.C. I believe, is becoming a church which does not believe in the admonition of scripture to be holy, walk in righteousness, repent of sin and turn to a loving God which will forgive us and renew us with His Holy Spirit.

For me the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada has become a denomination which is ". . .having a form of godliness but denying its power." (2 Timothy 3) and is becoming in Canada and around the world a church of irrelevance. I believe that it so wants to please society that it is leaving its first love. I am reminded of the writing of the letter to the Church in Sardis: "I know your deeds; you have a reputation for being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. (repent here does not mean to turn away from pessimism but to turn away from sin, that is my understanding) But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you." (Revelation 3:1-3)

How has this happened? I am reminded of the letter of Jude and the admonition it contains.

"Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:3-4) Jude talks about sexual immorality and perversion being brought into the church by godless men. In my opinion this is what is happening today in the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada.

I have written letters to the National Bishop, Synod Bishops, the National Church Council members individually, and the National Church Council Advisory Committee letting my views be known on same-gender blessing and my concerns with the theological direction that the leadership is taking. I spoke out at the 2004 Synod Clergy and Professional Workers Conference with my concerns and I was called by my colleagues a "homophobic"; "self-righteous", and "judgmental" because I had said that homosexual behaviour is sin.

I spoke on the floor of the 2005 National Church Convention to the issue of same-sex blessing and against the "Local Option" motion to have same-sex couple's relationships blessed by the church.

I have been a member of the steering committee of Solid Ground which is a group of concerned members of the E.L.C.I.C. which has tried to raise the awareness of members of the church across Canada as to the ungodly direction that the leadership of the E.L.C.I.C. is taking. Solid Ground has also written articles of refutation to the Bishops, National Church Council, others in leadership roles in the E.L.C.I.C. and to the Canada Lutheran magazine. All of this has been done to no avail. The leadership in my opinion has not repented but continues to forge ahead with their liberal and revisionist agenda. Therefore in order to remain in the will and blessing of my Heavenly Father, His loving and sacrificing Son, and the Blessed Holy Spirit, it is with a sad and grieving heart that I tender my resignation as pastor of Bethesda Evangelical Lutheran Church as of January 22, 2007 and upon that date remove my name from the roster of the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada.

I do not regret however my decision to resign. I believe that I must follow the will of God and not the will of man. May God ever be the Lord of my life. I will continue to serve and obey Him to the best of my ability and faith. I do however have regret over losing the pastoral relationship I have had with you, the caring people I have been privileged to serve. But I feel from my perspective, the most regret over how far the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada, the church of my ordination and ministry, has drifted from God's Word and the truth contained in that Word.

Beloved Brothers and Sisters I pray that God will open your eyes to the damage being done to you as you continue to remain in the E.L.C.I.C. I know that you love our Lord Jesus Christ. I beg you to be obedient to Jesus Christ the author and finisher of your faith and be obedient to the inerrant and inspired Word of God. Continue I pray to seek the Holy Spirit, and discern what it means to walk in the light and love of Christ.

In Christ's Service

Pastor William John Cowen

cc:
Bishop Elaine Sauer
Dean Arleen Berg
Bethesda Evangelical Lutheran Church Congregation